Friday, December 26, 2008

23 Months


Dearest Victoria Pearl,

As I reflect on this past month, I can't help but focus on how the Christmas season has been enhanced by seeing things through your eyes. You don't quite understand what it all means yet, but you were excited about every light, Christmas tree, and Santa that you saw. Your excitement about things big or small, common or new...is a constant reminder to me about appreciation and really seeing the world around me. That is one of the precious gifts you give me.

We spent a lot of time visiting family and friends, and you were your usual friendly self, giving out lots of hugs and kisses. Your facial expressions are ever-increasing and make us laugh every day. We think you might have some thespian in you since you can show different emotions on demand.

What do you like this month? You like to undress your dolls. As hard as you try, you can't quite get their clothes back on them, so they are all naked all the time. Your favorite book is Fancy Nancy. You love watching television -Sesame Street, Curious George, The Backyardigans. We limit your viewing, but you are not always happy about that and try to turn on the television yourself with the remote. You quickly find more interesting (and better) ways to entertain yourself. You still like me bunches and don't want me to ever leave you. If I so much as put on my shoes, you attach yourself to my leg. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred you are going with me. If not, you cry, cry, cry...It's heart-wrenching for me to watch you peeled to the window while I pull out in my car. You continue to try new foods, although macaroni and cheese is still your favorite. You aren't a big dare-devil, opting for help with tasks such as climbing off of the bed or jumping.
This month has also held some challenges. Apparently, it's difficult to be almost two. It's difficult for you because you want what you want when you want. You can't always communicate what that is or the answer is a firm no, both of which frustrate you. It's difficult for me because I am trying to find a balance between allowing you your growing independence and enforcing necessary boundaries. I know we have many months ahead to figure it all out!
I love you, even when you're onery,
Mommy

No comments: