Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Timing is Everything

Before the "meltdown"

I may have only been around a short time, but I already have some things figured out. Tantrums should be sandwiched between periods of exceptional behavior. That way, parents enter the tantrum phase with the WE HAVE THE BEST BABY IN THE WORLD mentality (see the letter Mommy wrote me last week!) which results in a period of bewilderment before you are disciplined...and leaves them forgetting all about the episode. I think it is brilliant. I practiced it this past weekend at the Aggie football game. We happily entered the stadium, anticipating a great game. By the middle of the first quarter, I changed my mind. I don't know why - I wasn't hungry, thirsty, tired, etc. -I didn't need a reason. Mommy spent the rest of the game trying to calm what she termed the "meltdown" by walking around with me, going outside the stadium, even breaking out the emergency Elmo video. Nothing worked. The following day, I was back to my normal self. I must have given Mommy 500 kisses and not so much as a whimper crossed my lips. I sang, I danced, etc...She again thinks I am wonderful!




No comments: