Saturday, October 4, 2008

Family...Family...and More Family

Kisses from Aunt Pearl


Taking a Walk with Aunt Teri and my cousin Katie



Tickling Granny's Feet


Playing with Three-Legged Molly


Smelling Aunt Pearl's Flowers - Yes, she still gardens at 97!

What a day! We hit the road at 9:00 a.m. and returned at 10:00 p.m. We spent seven (long) hours in the car and six (all too short) hours visiting with family.


Our first stop was the Wick (maternal great-grandmother) Family Reunion in Sweet Home. There I saw my BaBa, Uncle Randy and his family, Uncle Jeff and his family plus all the distant relatives, some of whom hadn't met me yet. In addition to seeing my cousins and playing, there was a spread of desserts two tables long! I couldn't wait until after lunch, so I helped myself to a cookie while I was under Daddy's supervision. I think he let me have it so he could split it with me. Anyway, I had fun running around outside and swinging before heading off to our next destination...Houston.


We stopped briefly to see Aunt Celia and Uncle Larry. Then we headed to see Granny and Granddaddy. They live in an assisted living facility and have their own apartment. There were many people in the lobby, on the elevator, sitting outside and I greeted them all. They really seemed to like that I was there. In the apartment, I explored and played with Molly, their cat. She has only three legs. Since I am learning to count, counting legs on animals is something Mommy and Daddy do with me, so I know cats usually have four legs. Mommy told me that sometimes things are different from the usual and that is just fine. I had fun dancing and prancing for Granny and Granddaddy before heading across town to see Aunt Pearl.

Aunt Pearl is now 97 and a half! She still lives independently and drives (yikes!). She has spent the last few weeks raking and bagging up the mess left in her yard (at least 20 huge bags) from the recent Hurricane Ike. Mommy always says she named me after Aunt Pearl because Aunt Pearl is strong and feisty - all the things you want your daughter to be, except when she is a teenager! While there, we walked around her lovely flower-filled yard and visited with the dog next door.

It was a whirlwind trip, but well worth it! There is nothing that compares to the love of family, and I am so very fortunate to have a great family - on all branches of my tree. I love you all!

No comments: